About Laura C. Saunders Elementary
Laura C. Saunders Elementary School began as Homestead Elementary School. In 1952, it was renamed A.L. Lewis Elementary School to honor the gentleman who established it as a neighborhood school. Enrollment averaged between 400 and 500 students. In 1996, with the completion of a new building, the name was once again changed to its current name, Laura C. Saunders Elementary, in honor of a teacher and principal during the A.L. Lewis years. Current enrollment is between 700 and 800 students.
Our mission is to develop independent, life-long academically successful, healthy learners by working in partnership with families and community. We have established an atmosphere conducive to enabling our children to develop not only academically, but also emotionally and socially, thereby creating in the children a sense of themselves and the world around them.